Alarm 3.5.4 Released, Future Plans
Ok, Alarm 3.5.4 is code-complete and I’m planning on releasing it on Friday (or sooner) depending on any regressions or other bugs I find during the next few days. This version contains more bug fixes than I’d like to admit to, but here are the major ones:
- Random playlist was not properly reordered after adding or removing items.
- Vista UAC and Limited Accounts. Should work now…finally!
- Prevent Windows Update Restart shown on limited accounts even though it can’t be set on them.
- Cannot load/save playlist on Vista with UAC enabled.
- Custom theme edits sometimes still applied on Cancel.
As you can see, Vista and its limited accounts are my achilles heel. Anyways, that’ll be released on Friday through the update service, probably the same day or possibly Thursday on my website, and then it’ll show up on download.com probably sometime next week. If you want it now, as always you can send me a message and I’ll give you a link.
As for the future of Alarm, I’m planning on doing about 1 more minor revision on 3.5, then halting development for a while, as I have a lot of stuff to work on in the other areas of my life (senior design, etc). I would really, really like to get Alarm 4.0 out before graduation, but because of the nature of it (a near-complete rewrite) I probably wont be able to. Also, the maintenance on that version would be time consuming, which is not really what I would need when getting ready to go to grad school.
That’s all for now.